Thursday, July 29, 2010

Women's Grand Prix

I have three days left before I head back to the States Sunday morning. I'm tying up loose ends, gathering last minute details and saying goodbyes until then. Today I went to the American Center for Mongolian Studies to take advantage of my membership and exploit their library. I found 89 years of statistical records, though the 1921-1990 listings were scant. Statistics WIN! It was a far more fruitful time investment than my trip to the National Statistics Office which, ironically enough, couldn't provide me with anything except population numbers at 500₮ a page.

On my walk home I decided to pass through Sukhbaatar Square. I rather enjoy playing dodge-the-frisky-eight-year-old-on-wheels game and, being the largest pedestrian-only space in UB, there are a several dozen kids on roller-blades and bicycles speeding about. But when I rounded the corner today not only were there kids on wheels there were two red carpets laid out, a large stage and a big crowd.



Turns out today is the kick-start of the FIDE Women's Grand Prix chess tournament. It's one of six tournaments in the two year long championship. Mongolia will host twelve brilliant young women, four of which are former world champions, from China, Mongolia, Russia, India, Bulgaria, Georgia, Turkey and Qatar as they battle it out over the next two weeks.

I'm not surprised that the Grand Prix has come to Mongolia. Chess has become a beloved and esteemed game here.  Some even say that at least one person in each Mongolian household plays chess. I won't get to see any of the action, but it's supposed to be an inspiring event. As the FIDE President said himself in address for the Mongolian tournament, "The example, which famous grandmasters show to young chessplayers, gives them a powerful impulse both in life, and in sports."

No comments:

Post a Comment